Gatehouse counsels clients on the protection of intellectual property. There are several levels to the protection of Intellectual Property.
Intellectual property is where much of the value of a business lies.
The specific types of intellectual property rights available in the United States are: Trademarks, Copyright, and Patent. Gatehouse works with Trademarks and Copyright. As they are federal protections, Gatehouse works with businesses in many different.
Intellectual Property is the expression of an idea, not the idea itself. No one owns an idea, what you own is the rights to the expression of your idea. Intellectual property is not like real property. With real property, you can either lease, sell, or subdivide the property. It is difficult, if not impossible, to do all of those at the same time. Intellectual property, however allows you to grant one, some or all of the rights you have in the property.
The protections of trademark and copyright are different. The rights associated with each type of intellectual property are designed to protect the work for the purpose it is intended.
Often, advice is needed at the time intellectual property is created. There are many strategies to protect intellectual property, but early protection is essential.
Intellectual Property law can protect your copyright, patent, or trademark through registration and other trade secret protections for your proprietary business information, such as business plans, formulas, strategies, and discoveries.
Gatehouse provides services to help protect intellectual property by offering the following services:
- Evaluation of intellectual property interests
- Investigations and opinions concerning client’s right or interest in intellectual property
- Registration of copyrights and trademarks at the state and federal level
- Advice on maintenance of intellectual property
- Opinions regarding the benefit of registering trademarks, logos, and other artistic and literary works
- Drafting of Cease and Desist Letters to protect intellectual property
- Prosecution and defense of copyright litigation
- Prosecution and defense of trademark litigation
To learn more about specific areas of intellectual property, more detailed information can be found at the links below: